On the day of the presentation the ballon managed to snap just before we were going to present it. This was a bit of a shocker as it had lasted for ages! This meant that Ollie and I had to run to pick up some more balloons. Was a close call, but we managed to get it all working again. Phew!
Here is a video of the final set up and the installation in action!
Here is a section of code that we have changed for our “Self Reflection” project. This changes the visualisation to only pulse on each heartbeat by using the BMP to register the sound each beat inside an “if” statement. This is much better than the previous code as each beat is much more identifiable and it even sounds a lot more like a heartbeat!
Along with finishing the code, we have also been making the final touches to the laser and the newly added Arduino.
To begin we, the laser was being held by a rotting piece of wood and some folded cardboard. Obviously this didn’t look too appealing so we decided to get a nice piece of wood, sand it all down and spray paint it black to match the speakers. Next we went on a hunt for a double ended flexible clamp around some hardware/bike stores. However, in the plumbing section we came across a shower head holder (for just over 40p!) which was perfect for the laser. We drilled a small hole into the wood and fit this securely to it. Apart from the holder being a little too big for the laser (which is easy to fix) It all works well.
Having an Arduino hooked to the computer as well, we needed a way of storing it so no light would affect the light sensor other than the light from the heartbeat sensor. To do this we purchased a small cardboard box. This isolates the light sensor so now we get an accurate reading.
We have had a couple of tests with this set up and it is all working perfectly. We now just need to wait for it to get dark outside this evening so we can record a video and create a small movie of it all working.
Today Ollie and I have been working on the code to get the heartbeat sensor data to play through the speakers. To do this we had to link the Arduino to our processing sketch and read the values from the light sensor which detected each beat from the heartbeat sensor. The screenshot above shows the code we add to the sketch to get this to work.
We had already worked together on the code for the heartbeat sensor in the language Arduino for Ollie’s previous project. So all we needed to do was altar this into the Processing language. Doing this line by line wasn’t much of a problem.
After a little bit of tweaking the wiring and swapping to a sensor shield, we managed to get this all working fine. The sound that now comes through the speakers that affects the position of the mirror comes straight from a heartbeat in realtime!
This has to be one of my favourite installations. An amazing use for a laser, awesome location and just such a good idea! Wish that I had thought of it!
Last week, Ollie and I set up our DAT301 art installation again, to get some photos for a poster competition. We messed around with the code and managed to get it visualising a range of bio-data, but we primarily used someones heartbeat to create the visualisations this time. It created some really stunning effects on the wall.
Above is one of the photos I took from the session, and the one we decided to use for the competition.
Ollie has purchased a heartbeat sensor (which will be reimbursed by the uni), so today we have been working on Realtime and Ollie’s Everyware, 2 birds with one stone. We have managed to hook the transmitter up to the Arduino following the diagram shown above. The next stage was to wear the sensor and wait for the transmitter receive the data from it.
We managed to pick up a heartbeat displayed as 0’s in the Arduino 9600 serial. However, this is supposed to be displayed as a range of numbers. To get this working, the tutorial we are following (http://bildr.org/2011/08/heartrate-arduino/) mentions un-soldering a soldering a couple of jumpers. However, we are a little scared to do this as the board cost around £60. So to make sure this is what we are supposed to do, we are going to arrange a meeting with Lee tomorrow to ask a few questions about it.
Here’s a project that I thought was very interesting, named Reflectius clock. It’s a clock that has 60 rotating mirrors inside it which bounce lasers off of them in order to display the time. I thought the whole project was quite inspiring.
Check out all the details on this link - http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/reflectius/process/
This video is almost and intro or teaser to the project, just showing a series of test shots we took during the development.